The GB Franchise
Why Guthrie Bowron?
For entrepreneurs seeking a long-term investment in the retail sector a Guthrie Bowron franchise has a number of advantages over buying or establishing a stand alone, independent retail business.
- Proven – Guthrie Bowron has 45 existing franchise stores which provide a high level of comfort that the business model works.
- Systems – Every franchisee receives a copy of the Franchise Manual which summarises the Guthrie Bowron operating system and sets benchmarks for minimum standards of operation. These standards are set in place for the benefit of all franchisees.
- Brand – The Guthrie Bowron brand is over 110 years old, it is a household name and enjoys strong recognition throughout New Zealand. In addition, Guthrie Bowron has a private label brand which is enjoying increasing consumer awareness.
- Scale – There are 45 stores in the Guthrie Bowron group. This provides buying power with suppliers and the ability to advertise nationally and on television.
- Marketing/advertising – The Group Office manages a national marketing programme that it develops in conjunction with key suppliers. This programme includes coordinated television, print and radio campaigns and draws on the GB Inspired Club loyalty Scheme and database.
- Support network – The support of 45 other store owners and the ability to share information and ideas has been critical to the success of Guthrie Bowron. There are two regional meetings held per year and an annual conference which franchisees are expected to attend. These are excellent forums for the members to discuss common problems and identify positive opportunities to expand their businesses.
- Simplicity – Procurement, supply relationships, national advertising, promotions, training, conferences and technology support are all provided by Group Office. Our franchisees are able to focus on the business of retailing which is why we can provide the high levels of in-store service that distinguish Guthrie Bowron from its competitors.
- House Call service – We have initiated an interior decorating consultancy or "house-call" service that is being met with a strong consumer response. Staff visit the customer in their own homes to assist with choices in fabric, paint, wallpaper, blinds and carpet. This provides an excellent opportunity to up-sell other products and creates a very personal customer relationship.
- Products – Some of our in-store brands are Dulux (Australasia's strongest paint brand), Cabot’s, Vision, Selleys, Maurice Kain, James Dunlop, Charles Parsons, Warwick, Godfrey Hirst and Feltex. The suppliers behind these brands invest in brand marketing on their own account which provides an indirect benefit to Guthrie Bowron stores by creating product demand. They also provide product training and other on-going support.
- Trade Depot – Most Guthrie Bowron stores act as Dulux trade depots. Where Dulux New Zealand does not have an existing 'Trade Centre', it encourages tradesmen to purchase their requirements from the local Guthrie Bowron store.
- Location – Convenience is an important determining factor in where a consumer shops. Guthrie Bowron stores are usually located amongst a cluster of stores in the decorating or building industry rather than in expensive retail malls. Parking is also very important. Group Office works with new franchisees to identify and secure an appropriate site based around demographic and other factors.
If you are interested in a Guthrie Bowron franchise, download the franchise-agreement.pdf (152KB)